
Here's a little shout out to my Dad and D for teaching me about Ricard.
Many of you may already know me as a Ricard drinker. The clear, licorice based liqueur is my party going/giving staple. I always have a bottle in reserve at home. Often when I pour out my tumbler full, and delicately add a bit of water, so that the liquid in my glass turns a perplexing opaque white, I have people ask, "what is that?" I explain, they taste, then gag, and leave me to my poison. Here's what happens when I order Ricard in Paris.
Last night I went out with a new found friend Jade from Melbourne and Kate (a friend of her's also from Melbourne). They ordered beer, nothing wrong with that, and then the waiter turned to me and I asked for a Ricard, careful to roll my rrrrr, say the i as "ee", and forget the d at the end (otherwise an Americanised "Ricard" will get you a blank stare). My waiter smiled and gave me a little nod. Kate's French boyfriend also smiled at me. "Ah ha, very good," he said. We then explained to Kate and Jade the marvels of Ricard.
Sometimes there are a lot of rules to remember in France, but this is one skill set that has, and will, I hope, serve me well in the future. A rule not to forget: don't tip your formerly smiling bartender, he and his friends will laugh at you.
Many of you may already know me as a Ricard drinker. The clear, licorice based liqueur is my party going/giving staple. I always have a bottle in reserve at home. Often when I pour out my tumbler full, and delicately add a bit of water, so that the liquid in my glass turns a perplexing opaque white, I have people ask, "what is that?" I explain, they taste, then gag, and leave me to my poison. Here's what happens when I order Ricard in Paris.
Last night I went out with a new found friend Jade from Melbourne and Kate (a friend of her's also from Melbourne). They ordered beer, nothing wrong with that, and then the waiter turned to me and I asked for a Ricard, careful to roll my rrrrr, say the i as "ee", and forget the d at the end (otherwise an Americanised "Ricard" will get you a blank stare). My waiter smiled and gave me a little nod. Kate's French boyfriend also smiled at me. "Ah ha, very good," he said. We then explained to Kate and Jade the marvels of Ricard.
Sometimes there are a lot of rules to remember in France, but this is one skill set that has, and will, I hope, serve me well in the future. A rule not to forget: don't tip your formerly smiling bartender, he and his friends will laugh at you.
1 comment:
The photo alone made us laugh out loud. Ironically, Dad used Ricard last night - cooked in a tarragon sauce with scallops - and we toasted you.
Dad & D
Post a Comment