Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reunited and it feels so good!

Yes friends Europe and I are back together, and the love is stronger than ever. And as for this blog, I am also back - but a reluctant backpacker no more! This three week sojourn is being carried out in style - with rolling luggage as the good Lord intented.

My flight was totally uneventful, a pleasant fact to report. When Jon (the bf) and I arrived at Pearson International, Terminal 3, it was practically empty. I saavilly glided though security and shortly thereafter boarded my plane. Barring a slightly longer stop-over than planned in Dorval (Montreal) everything ran smoothly - thank you Air Transat.

Once in Barcelona I had just as equally a pleasant time. The customs official didn't even look at my travel information card, and casually stamped my passport before waving me through without a word. And then imagine my surprise when my bag was one of the first to trundle out on the baggage carousel. Though slightly more difficult to identify in a sea of luggage than my purple and green monstrosity of last fall, it was simply heaven to pop up the handle and roll away gracefully.

My hostel sits on a street called Passeig de Gracia amidst designer boutiques and upscale cafes. And as I ponder an ornately decorated window belonging to Gucci, I think, well this is very pleasant. Currently it's a bit muggy, and overcast, but I will take a walk in a little bit, and fight off the sleep a little longer. Tomorrow I'll be a better explorer.

Challenges so far:
- a confusing touch activated range in the kitchen that appears to have no lights to indicate when it is on or off.
- being on the top bunk, because someone stole my assigned bottom bunk bed.

Perks:
- self serve kitchen with mostly comprehensible appliances
- free Internet (big yay for that!)
- large balcony trimmed common room
- being identified as a Canadian by another Canadian based on my President's Choice soup cup.

No comments: