I don't know what I expected getting a standing room ticket for the opera, but as much as I tried I couldn't shake the feeling that I might have felt happier sitting in a loge (box), with a dress, and heels, and a handsome escort. As it was, I was standing, very far away from the action, and in pants. Having said that, the music was divine, and I could see the stage moderately well (better after a pack of teenage girls left after the first act).
Navigating my way through the Opera House was a little tedious. My ticket had no indication whatsoever of where I was supposed to stand, so I kept having to ask people. Note for all future Opera attendees: being charming and girlish has no effect on Viennese ushers, they all seem to lack a basic sense of humour.
The Opera House itself was a little less grand than I had expected, which is pretty much the way I feel about Vienna in general. Vienna seems to be a city whose true allure lies in the fact that it has unquestionably excellent treasure troves of art, cutting edge museums, and fabulous music. That is to say it is the things inside the city's buildings that are appealing, not so much the buildings themselves. Vienna has a sort of general European look to it. I think of it as a grungier, fall less opulent Paris with some southern colour giving it a bit of flair. The buildings I like best all evoke Italy done in cotton candy pinks, butter creams, and sunflower yellows; occasionally I even catch sight of my favourite shade of peach.
Fashion here it likewise dull. The flare never seems to have gone out. Every man, woman, and child is sporting a pair of flared jeans. Also the Victorian boot trend I admired so much in Belgium (apparently shoe mecca) seems to be available in shops, but unembraced by the masses. Occasionally I see a well dressed person, cutting a trim figure in straight leg pants, flats and an elegant scarf. They're probably a Belgian tourist. It is funny to pick out tourists from other countries I've already been to. My favourite are the Italians. Their sequined clothing always manages to catch my eye, then I notice the platform running shoes and I know. Now it is wrong to generalize, it really is (kids you pay attention!), but I must admit that there is great satisfaction when I hear the "Alora" and a string of Italian following.
One of my most favourite things about Vienna is my Internet cafe, a place where they encourage you to eat and drink around the computers. I am always happy to oblige. The other thing I have really enjoyed (outside of the museums of course) is the mass I went to this morning. As foretold in my guidebook it had a full orchestra as well as choir. The music was really lovely. Tomorrow when I'm resettled in Salzburg I'll recount the experience properly.
Until then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
J - think of what the Vienese ushers are missing in failing to notice your girlish (womanly??) charm! Does this bode well for your travels in Germany? On a more serious note - the bag and lbs have been located and await dispatch
XO (..1,000s ...1,000,000s)
P.S. Am working on academic honesty for next week (wish you could share in the joy of searching for lively YouTube clips to cover the topic - have only partially lost mind).
M
Jesssssssss
cheer up, the flare is figure enhancing for many.
i wish you liked vienna more. where are you staying????????
Post a Comment